Wednesday, December 05, 2012

We Make Plans...

I went to drop our foster daughter (who I will hereinafter refer to as Princess Peach in an effort to give her an identity and still protect her privacy) at preschool this morning, only to find her teachers in the parking lot, waving cars by.  The fire alarm was malfunctioning, so they cancelled school for the day.

As I drove home, I imagined a giant squeegee coming down from the sky, wiping off my calendar.

A popular saying claims that when we make plans, God laughs.  I'm not sure that's how it works. But there is a warning in the bible that says something along the lines of "Don't brag about what you're going to do tomorrow, because really, you have no idea how things will play out." I don't think I bragged about today, but I had a pretty clear plan outlined in my head.  Now I'm wrestling with how to go with the flow, scribbling "Go to library & playground" where "Finish chapter 8" used to be.

Bottom line: whatever thoughts I had about Advent this morning (there was something about a hymn I just realized I like even though I don't know most of the words) flew out the window as I drove home wondering what to make for lunch (Princess Peach doesn't really groove on my "let's just look in the cupboard and grab a handful of whatever is there" habit).  I might be back later with deep thoughts. Or not.

May your day be filled with only the best sorts of curveballs & surprises :)

2 comments:

heidikins said...

I totally feel you on this, perfectly laid plans? Generally they laugh in my face as they are discarded for impromptu, scrambled, last-minute changes. Sigh.

(Also, I think it is amazing that you are a foster family. A.May.Zing.)

xox

Elizabeth said...

So true!! Love the name "Princess Peach" :)