Monday, August 24, 2009

It's still summer, right?

This is the longest I've been away from this blog since I started recording my random adventures and THAT DOG's shenanigans a few years back. I've missed you, blogsphere!

As I mentioned over at 40 Days, we had a bit of a family emergency. My awesome Uncle Chris died somewhat unexpectedly. As Steve and I drove north to be with family members who came in from all over the country, I thought it would be better to unplug for a bit and just be there, rather than blogging/tweeting/facebooking the experience. I love the support that comes from sharing bits and pieces of life with folks I wouldn't meet any other way. But at the same time I sometimes find myself thinking "Wow-this will make a great tweet!" when I'd be better off focusing on what's going on where I am.

So I feel like I've de-fragged a bit from that state of automatically translating every experience into 140 word sound bites! Still though, it's good to be back :)

Speaking of life getting back to normal...I have two new novels that I'm carving out time to read before summer is over:

Jonathan Tropper is one of my writing heroes. His stuff is just so fantastic, and his latest, THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU is getting rave reviews. I'm alternating between being sad I haven't been able to read it yet, and remembering that this is why I love books: they don't disappear if you don't catch them in the first 20 minutes after they go live.

But I can still be at the front of the line to buy Julie Buxbaum's AFTER YOU when it hits my local bookstore tomorrow.

How are you stretching out the last days of summer? Or better: what are you excited about for autumn?

4 comments:

Abby Green said...

Welcome back!! I missed you while you were away. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle...glad you were able to have time to be with family.
I read a book recently that made me think of you and your pursuit of cooking...A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg...it's a collection of short stories all tied together with fabulous recipes...I think you'd like her personality that shines through in it.
Things I'm looking forward to this fall...heading east where the weather will be MUCH cooler and the leaves will be changing colors!

Sarakastic said...

I don't know if the cactus will change colors by my new apartment. Autumn will probably look a lot better on your side of the country.

LEstes65 said...

Oh...sorry about the loss of Uncle Chris.

I hear you on the social networking saturation. Just blogged about my current issue with it. I'm glad you're back.

I stretched out the entire summer by taking it off - thanks to my awesome severance package. And I'm excited about getting a job. I just know God's got a good one coming.

Stacy said...

I'm sorry about your uncle. Hope you're doing okay.

Summer . . . I'm sorry to see it go. It's always too fast. But I love fall too. October is the best. Changing leaves, new sweaters, my birthday, AND Halloween. September is just okay.