Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Packing my bags

I'm taking a trip on an airplane next week, and it will be the longest stretch of time I've had to read in what feels like forever. Given that I've heard vicious rumors of mean flight attendants who won't let passengers go to the bathroom for something like five hours before landing, it seems like some sort of deep distraction will be key.

Help me, blog friends! What books should I bring? I'm open to anything: novels, memoir, humor, horror (okay, I take that back...please no horror. Or, now that I think of it, stories about planes that crash...)

I did a Google Image Search for "suitcase full of books" and it turned up this picture. I think it represents Steve, pulling me away from the Borders kiosk at the airport...

6 comments:

Stacy said...

If you're okay with the extra weight of a hardcover, I suggest "Alice I Have Been" by Melanie Benjamin. It's about the life of Alice Liddell Hargreaves, the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland. It's amazing. :)

You and Steve are so graceful!

Laura said...

The book I always recommend to my girlfriends is "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Phillipa Gregory - it is a historical fiction about Anne Boleyn's sister, Mary, who was mistress to King Henry VIII before Anne married him. Of course, there is plenty about Anne and Henry in there, too, and if you like the Tudors (on Showtime) and that kind of stuff, it is AWESOME! -- Laura

Sarakastic said...

Now I want to go interpretative dance at the library.

tootie said...

Well, I would recommend The Happiness Project (just read it and loved it!), but I know you've already read that one. :)

Have you read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society? (I promise the book is way better than the name!) It was so good!

And finally, one of my favorite memoirs of all time is "Funny in Farsi" by Firoozeh Dumas. It's a hilarious, yet touching read!

Suzer said...

Have you read "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio"? It is an uplifting memoir by Terry Ryan. Her Mom, Evelyn, was a contester in the 50s. I bet she could have given Don Draper (Mad Men) a run for his money! This book truly inspired me.

Clare Rose-Howard said...

I've read so many great books it's hard to pick just one

I'd suggest
The Richest Man Who Ever Lived by Steven K Scott - based on the wisdom of King Solomon

Also, The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry is excellent - it's about positive thinking - these were my two top recs for last year - also love Reposition Yourself by TD Jakes