Saturday, June 09, 2007

The key

I am back in action from the food poisoning debacle - thank you all for your kind wishes! Here is what I was going to write about before I did my 48 hours in the bathroom...my new secret indulgence!

I was sitting on the couch the other day, surfing through the channels and chiding myself for not working, when I came across Kathy Griffin: My Life on The D List. It was a marathon, as it turns out, and for the next three hours, Ms. Griffin had me hooked. Now I'm a bit shocked by this - it's not like KG is a logical nominee to replace the Gilmore Girls in my heart. But man, she is funny. My favorite scene was when she flew to Louisville, KY because they were going to award her the key to the city (which is a bit hard to imagine, as I've always thought of Louisville as rather conservative, and Kathy is, in her own words, so far to the left that she's for gun control at gay weddings). Nonetheless, Kathy arrived in KY and went forth to meet her people. All nine of them. There, outside the mayors office, were seven administrative assistants taking a donut break, one fan, and the Deputy Mayor, filling in for his boss (who couldn't be there because he had a dentist appointment). They gave her a lapel pin and sent her on her way. It was so pitiful, it was funny.

She also did an AMAZING job going to visit our troops in the Middle East - she had me laughing and crying at the same time. I was impressed by how smart she is, how she adjusts her material to suit the crowd in front of her, but also how she "got" that much of what she saw in Iraq wasn't funny at all. I like that she shows a full range of who she is, rather than just being the wisecracking girl all the time. Good stuff. If I'm ever awarded the key to a city, I hope Kathy will be there :)

This weekend's question: If you could have the key to any city, what city would it be, and why? Kathy's got Louisville, but there are still plenty left for the rest of us! (I'm going to Chicago next month to scope it out).

11 comments:

kim said...

I LOVE her! In my mind she is one of my best friends. I would stalk her if there weren't so much work involved in stalking.

She was just at Pride Fest in Milwaukee Friday and the only thing stopping my friend and I from going was that we were wimpy about the weather and we saw that she will be in Chicago in October.

It was a tough call -- Kathy with her gays or Kathy in her hometown.
The indoor venue won.

BTW-- I'm glad you are feeling better. I have been cracking up thinking about your decorating tip though -- I picture you in someones home with color swatch books and you are, "yes, but how do you feel looking at it from this angle?"

Anonymous said...

I also am a secret fan of her show. I always think "You should be too annoying to watch, but somehow you aren't". I want the key to Canada.

xxxx said...

I took a sick day that day, so I watched the marathon, too! I love her! She is soooo funny.

LEstes65 said...

I absolutely LOVE KG! She rocks. My kind of humor. All the way.

I will collect city keys. I'm lovable so they'll all be happy to oblige. I'll get:
- San Fran, CA, because I was born there.
- Boston, MA, because I lived there for so long and helped make it the amazing city it is today.
- Peoria, IL, simply due to the constant random references I make to that city (as in "Where could be BE?" and I answer, "Peoria?").
- Hell, MI, because having the key to Hell would just be unendingly funny to me.

L Sass said...

I have never watched Kathy Griffin's show--assuming that it would be annoying, but now I will definitely check it out.

I'd like the key to Paris, please. It is my favorite city ever-ever-ever. Of course, it would be called le clé.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I think I'd vote for Austin, Texas. It's an awesome city, and I think that there's so much going on there that with the key to the city, you're sort of part of it all. You're very hip, happening, and fun. Normally that's a stretch for me...I need all the help (and keys) I can get.

Allie said...

I don't think we get her show in NZ and I've never heard of her! But she does sound great. I think I know what you mean when you say she's not just the one who's always wisecracking - and that's great!

I want the key to Disneyland. Does that count?

j said...

Hmmmm...
I've always assumed a whole show of Kathy would be more than I could handle, but maybe not.

I would like the key to Seattle or Honolulu please.

Patti said...

I love this show and have been watching since its inception. Great for a belly laugh every time!

I want the key to my hometown of San Angelo, Texax.

Tena Russ said...

Welcome to Chicago! It's at its gorgeous right now -- the 17-year cicada invasion notwithstanding. Don't miss Millennium Park.

Beck said...

I want the key to Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump, Alberta, the place with the Scariest Name Ever.