Tuesday, February 12, 2008

questions + cute hiking boots = adventure

My cousin Katie came over for dinner last night. She's been living a life of adventure for the past few months, touring the country to interview fellow Notre Dame alums about the interesting things they've done since graduation (I think she also spent some time consoling them about this year's football team, but that's just a guess...) She told great stories from her travels, and even shared a vital tip about shopping for hiking boots in the boys department at Target (Size 7.5 womens=5.5 boys, in case you're wondering). I laughed for four hours.

I'm so proud of Katie for pulling this trip together--I mean, what's not to love about a gig that lets you meet dozens of new people and evaluate the relative merits of five West Coast cities in the span of a few short weeks? Very cool. Katie is my hero :)

Makes me wonder: If you could travel around the country, asking people questions, who would you talk to? What would you ask?

8 comments:

Jess said...

So many questions! I would want to know about doctors and health and bodies. And also relationships and sex and intimacy. And goals and plans and babies. And families and schools and backgrounds. I would want to talk to everyone. I guess to narrow it down I would probably be self-centered and pick people who have lives vaguely similar to mine from whom I could learn. Like talking to young families where one spouse isn't American. I am so curious about that stuff.

But this is the beauty of blogs. To an extent, we can do that, without having to travel.

Unknown said...

that's so funny! I agree with jess, so many questions, but the one on my brain for the past few days (check out my blog) would be to poll evangelicals on why it seems to be considered more "Christian" to vote republican? hahaha

Patti said...

i buy some of my t-shirts in the boy's department of stores. kids are getting bigger and they are half of what i'd normally pay.

travel to meet peeps. hmmm, i will have to think on that, but right off the top of my head i would like to go to meet people who live on beaches in a sunny climes where cabana boys are plentiful.

Jen A. Miller said...

I'd like to run a 5K in every state and talk to the person who finished first and last in every one, plus a lot of people in between. I'm fascinated about every "why I started writing" story I hear because they're all different -- probably even more so than the the "why I started writing" stories I hear.

Anonymous said...

I would like to take a road trip from DC to California and stop at random places in between asking random people to sign my scrap book. Then I'd take their picture with a polaroid and put the picture next to their signature in my book.

Unknown said...

don't feel like you have to do this...but you've been tagged:) Check out my blog for details.

Barrie said...

Hmmm....I'd want to talk books, I think. So, I'd be seeking authors, librarians, readers (all ages).

Or else I'd be looking for stories. I love listening to the older crowd talk about back in the day.

Fun question!

Anonymous said...

I am living a life of adventure for the past few years. I also get my hiking boots from Target always with discount offers and best customer services.