Monday, February 18, 2008

Thoughts from the next generation

We babysat this weekend for the Niece and the Nephew. Our conversations were, to put it mildly, challenging.

The Nephew (age 7) over dinner: "Aunt Trish...are you and Uncle Steve ever going to have babies? I mean, you have a four door car!" (Practical boy, the Nephew).

My nuanced, sophisticated response? "Hey! Look at your clean plate! Would you like some cookies?" There was no way I was getting into the whole conversation about trying with him, even though he's made it perfectly clear over the past year or so that he's rather disappointed Steve and I haven't made the time to go to the baby store, pick out a cousin for him, and put it in my tummy for nine months to bake.

Then there was the Niece (age 4) at bedtime, right after I said, "Goodnight sweetie...sweet dreams...bless you!":

"Aunt Trish, what's bless you?

Me (again, revealing a deep sensitivity and attention to her spiritual development): "Um...Bless you is like saying God bless you. Okay? Great! Goodnight!"

She sat up in her bed. "But what does God bless you mean?"

"Well, it means, I hope God brings you blessings. You know, like the blessings you have: your family, your house, your dog Otis..."

"Then you have blessings, too Aunt Trish," she observed wisely. "You have THAT DOG!" She paused for a moment, gazing around at her piles of stuffed puppies. "I sure hope God brings me more blessings!" she finally said. Suddenly, I realized the deep theology lesson I'd imparted: Blessings = Dogs.

It's not entirely wrong...

18 comments:

Larramie said...

As a matter of fact it's quite brilliant, Trish. After all, dogs = unconditional love...what blessings.

Carleen Brice said...

I remember a similar conversation with my niece and nephew that went something like, "Aunt Carleen, whatever happened to that boy or girl you were going to have?"

Um...well....

ramblin' girl said...

Dogs = Blessings for certain.

Paige Jennifer said...

You know, if the church pushed your niece's interpretation, there's a good chance it'd hold onto more of members. I'm just saying. Who doesn't love dogs????

Anonymous said...

Awwww, out of the mouths of babes and nieces/nephews. ;o)

xox

Patti said...

you gave one of life's greatest blessings...

Susie said...

Awww I listening to little kids and their logic. Sooo why DID you buy a 4-dour car if there are no kids on the way???? Haha you could be driving a 2-seater convertable :)

xxxx said...

Kids are SO funny! Your answer to the kids question is almost exactly like the one I gave to my friend's daughter when she asked me how come Jamie Lynn Spears could be having a baby if she was only 16 and not married. I was like, uhhh ... look! Chocolate!

Jess said...

Dogs are blessings except when they chew holes in your walls, destroy your furniture, pee on the rug, etc. I mean, I love dogs and I want one. But they aren't ALWAYS a blessing.

Allie said...

Ah, kids. Awkward questions are a staple. My sister's boyfriend was asked basically every time he saw a certain niece when he was going to marry my sister. Right from the start. It worked eventually.

Virginia said...

Little kids say the cutest things sometimes! My mom is a preschool teacher and always has stories about her students and the wacky things they do/say.

Anonymous said...

Kids truly say the darndest things! Good comebacks.

Tonya said...

from the mouths of babes...ha ha!

Jenny said...

So funny!

L Sass said...

I love that four door car = kids. Seems logical to me.

Stacy said...

I would have brought up cookies too.

LEstes65 said...

Blessings = dogs? Interesting. I'm hoping that can be extended to a hot single Christian man that might tag along with my blessing.

Michelle said...

That is so darling! The most poignant lessons often come in surprising ways.