Wednesday, February 27, 2008

CSI Cambridge

I pulled into the parking lot at my gym the other day and noticed that the window of the car next to me had been smashed in. I'd seen two guys walking away from this general area as I approached, but given the nature and demographics of my gym, I thought nothing of it. Until, that is, I noticed the sedan with the new air conditioning.

Now, given my background as a lawyer, and the years I spent studying various aspects of criminal justice, do you think my first reaction was:
a.) to reach for my cell phone and dial 911?
b.) to pull out of my parking space with screeching tires and chase down the bad guys?
or
c.) to lean over to check the ambient temperature gauge in my car, while wondering, "Is it really warm enough to go drive to the gym with no car window?"

Yep, that's me: razor sharp. A crime took place right in front of me, but my happy little brain couldn't even process that something like that could happen. Instead, I honestly thought that someone had had their car broken into somewhere else, and they decided to get a workout in before having it fixed. Unbelievable. As I described this to Steve when I got home, he said, "Wow Honey...we may have to move you back to Maine for your own safety..."

On the upside: if there's some unpleasant aspect of life you'd like to overlook completely, let me know...perhaps my skills are transferable?

20 comments:

Joanne Rendell said...

i would have been the same. especially post workout. my brain can't think straight after i've been on the treadmill. not until i've eaten, that is!

j said...

Well, you were most likely correct in your assessment that it must have been a chilly ride home for the sedan owners.

Unknown said...

Hello! Here via Blindasabat-beth, or swishy, I can't really rememeber!

That post was too funny. My first thought would have been to blame the two guys walking away, cause I'm just that paranoid and quick to assuming.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I think because I grew up in Brooklyn where crime was pretty bad in my area and where we had 3 family cars stolen and our places broken into, I am very sensitive to the out of the ordinary. But my husband, who grew up in a nice, safe neighborhood, is no where near as suspicious as I am. So I don't think it is you being clueless but that you aren't programmed to be so suspicious all the time.

Congrats on your book! I am so looking forward to reading it!

Larramie said...

Your endorphins were working overtime, Trish!

Unknown said...

whereas I call 911 at the slightest look of suspicious activity.....they probably have my number flagged....hahaha

Paige Jennifer said...

On Monday I flew back from Sarasota with my 23 year old cousin. I stepped over a leather wallet on the ground while she bent down to pick it up and hand it off to the blue hair working security. And it isn't that I didn't see it. Hello? I stepped OVER it. I just didn't connect the dots. This newfound apathy is really bothering me.

Beck said...

Ooh! Ooh! I'd like to ignore our finances, please! And world politics!

Kristen said...

I think it's really sweet that you didn't think evil of those guys right away. I wish I wasn't so suspicious now! Although a long time ago when I lived in Allston, I came home one day and saw what I thought was one of my neighbors trying to force open a window in our building. I said hi and proceeded on my way because I thought he had lost his keys! Two days later, my apartment was broken into, I'm guessing by the same dude. Doh.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yikes, Trish.. I'm way to suspicious and uptight.. I would have probably sprinted into the gym and told everyone to call 911.
Great story.. Thanks for sharing!

Keri :)

Jess said...

That is awesome. See, you focus not on past events (which can't be changed) but on the consequences of those events. See? You're practical.

L Sass said...

That would be my reaction, too. It's probably a good thing I never got into detective work!

Anonymous said...

Great post, funny reminder how we become desensitized to some things!

Now feel free to reweave the tale as the version of the story you *really* wished for - the one in which you chase after the bad guys with your tires smoking!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I'm like that too. I'll be telling my husband some story, and he'll interject with the crucial bit of information that makes everything make sense. I'm then left to sit quietly and ponder my lapse in understanding while he shakes his head, amazed at my denseness.

Allie said...

Don't worry, I am really gullible. I think that's worse.

Michelle and the City said...

i am queen oblivious so i think i would've missed all the signs. sad, i know. 2 cars were stolen out of my parking lot over the past few months and a private investigator came to ask me about it. i had no idea it had even happened.

xxxx said...

Ha! You and I would be the Hardy Girls together :)

Barrie said...

Personally, I am shocked at how slowly I make connections.... So, I totally understand where you're coming from. :)

LEstes65 said...

Oh my goodness. You totally cracked me up. I have to admit, my brain's capacity for accepting certain dark sides to our world is limited, as well.

a&v said...

Aw, I'm a "glass is half full" type person, too. And some days it just takes awhile to connect the dots, you know?

I love Steve's response!