Friday, September 09, 2011

Saved from the Jaws of Outright Mortification

I'm going to spare you all the truly embarrassing post I drafted late last night. I was bleary-eyed from too much rain and not enough US Open tennis...but even so, it was so, so awful.

[There was a wafty quote from the early 1070s about a rose growing from a seed into bloom, & how it's perfect at every stage in the process. The quote was shot through with that sort of sentiment that demands we not judge ourselves and yet somehow leaves me feeling totally judged. And to top it off, I accompanied the post with a picture of a rosebud that was covered in (wait for it...) aphids. Yes, there were BUGS crawling all over my symbolic little rose, along with an inane comment about blasting them off with a hose.

Late last night, this seemed profound and important.

Today, in the cool light of morning, every part of my being is thanking God I didn't hit "Publish Post" last night.]

Thankfully, I found something better to send us all off into the weekend! It's a collection of "get moving" quotes author Natalie Taylor posted on her blog, gleaned from the t-shirts she saw at a CrossFit event. There's something for everyone. And with a little stretching, these apply to all different challenges in life--writing, working out, going after a degree or a promotion, building a business...

“Never fear competition. Welcome it. Embrace it. Then destroy it."

You can either have results or excuses.”


“Don’t wish it was easier. Wish you were better.”


and my favorite...

“Suck it up, buttercup.”

So much better than the aphid-laden rosebud of non-judgment!
Have a great weekend :)

1 comment:

Sarakastic said...

Plllleeease publish the post so we can see? Puuhhllease?