Sunday, October 28, 2007

Humbled by the British Phone Salesman

This video is amazing. It makes me cry every time I watch it. Paul represents the opposite end of the spectrum from the bespangled pageant contestant I blogged about last week--he doesn't command the spotlight with either his beauty or his costume; he just sort of shuffles on, almost apologizing for taking up space in the world. The thing is, though, he has a dream; a dream that pushes him out there in front of all those snickering faces who can't imagine he has anything valuable to offer, people who think his appearance might be their best chance to dash to the restroom before the next big star takes the stage.

And then he opens his mouth.

He sings, and it's so clear that this is what God created him for, his gift to us here in this world. My eyes filled with tears as I watched and listened to him--partly because it was just so beautiful, but more because I know that if I'd been in the audience that night, I'd have missed it. I'd have been one of those people in the ladies' room, touching up my lipstick while out there on the stage this guy was living one of the magnificent moments when God shows up IN one of us, changing EVERYTHING for all who stick around to witness it.

I don't want to miss these moments. I want to be there for every one of them, because they force me to remember what it looks and feels like when our talent connects with God's timing. Amazing.

Late (oh-so late) breaking addition: Speaking of fabulous moments I wouldn't want to miss...

THE RED SOX JUST WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!! Squeeeeeeeee!!!!!
(For a girl who grew up having people LAUGH at me when I'd say, "I think they just might win it this year," watching the Red Sox celebrate still feels like a big gigantic miracle. Well worth three weeks of missed sleep :) )

9 comments:

Allie said...

Yeah. I love watching the judges' faces change from oh-CRAP-someone-who-thinks-he-can-sing-opera to just WOW.

j said...

wow! truly amazing!

Unknown said...

A-Mazing! Was not expecting that voice! I saw that he won the competition:) Cool.

Anonymous said...

holy cow simon smiled, I always knew that it would be creepy if he did.

Jane said...

I love when we discover our true God given talents! Happy Monday, Trish!!

Patti said...

i like to think of those moments as when we stop fighting the river's flow and turn to be swept away...

Larramie said...

Congratulations to you and your Red Sox, Trish; although the real World Series was against the Indians in the ACLS. At least there was competition! ;)

Stephanie Kartalopoulos said...

Awesome! Really!!

And with the Sox winning last night--it was pretty amazing, and for ways that I can't quite articulate right now, it struck me in this hugely personal place. It taps into this 'hope against the odds' thing that I have going for me.I think that's really why I give a damn about the Sox when I really don't care about sports in general, to be honest.

But them Sox...
And that Papelbon...
And Coco...

Yeah.
Believe.
They make it so easy.

LEstes65 said...

Ok, I'm wiping the tears after watching that video. Let me tell you, as a classically trained vocalist, I don't hand out praise lightly. He is obviously not trained. And that is part of my praise. To not be trained and to be able to pull THAT out of a hat? Are you KIDDING ME? I'm just wondering what he could do if he was allowed to sing all the time and not sell phones all day!

And as for the Sox, YEEEE-HOOOOO!!!!