Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mea (or Us-a) Culpa

To my (beloved, wonderful, forgiving) sister:

Steve and I really, really, really didn't know that the make-pretend coffee maker in the "Yay! It's Time For Breakfast!" set we gave your children for Christmas used REAL WATER. We thought it was sufficiently exciting that the battery-operated toaster popped up two pieces of plastic bread that the kids could stick together with velcro to make a breakfast sandwich. We never imagined that our gift would turn your living room into an Aquaboggan Theme Park on Christmas morning, or leave your children marveling, "Wow, water tastes totally different when you run it through this machine!"

We didn't know. We're not parents yet. And if you decide to bring THAT DOG four pounds of the fancy organic dog treats that make her leak from both ends the next time you come to Massachusetts, we'll understand.

On the bright side, your kids are one step closer to part-time jobs at Starbucks which might score us discount Caramel Macchiatos! (Maybe next year Santa will bring a toy cappuccino machine that foams real milk???)

15 comments:

Beck said...

Hee hee heeeee.... there's nothing quite like the gifts that people without kids give children! (But it DOES sound like an awesome present. My kids would be WILD.)

Unknown said...

Be careful...this sort of thing has a habit of coming back around to get ya. Trust me. We've received then were VERY happy to reciprocate.

Patti said...

can't wait to hear what your sister will do when your babies arrive...and trust me, she will never forget it. it's a give and take and then give it back tenfold thang.

Sarakastic said...

Now I don't feel so bad about giving my nephews annoying hand held arcade games. I thought it would be ok because the games mute, but that never happens

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I remember pre-kids we gave a two-year-old a play-doh set. What were we thinking?!?!?!?!?!

Your mistake though, quite honest!!! My mistake--guilty--I thought, hey, I don't have kids yet, let them have a mess! I did it on purpose! : )

Susie said...

Hehe that's adorable. Little Starbucks baristas in the making!

ORION said...

The gifts that keeps on giving...so I guess you were responsible for the drum set too huh?

Greg C said...

Great present. I got my grandson a toy that not only speaks but he speaks in alien language. Talk about aggrivating. :)

Holly Kennedy said...

Here's a gift for kids under five (I gave a few of these AFTER I had my kids and two friends did this to me on two separate occassions): a pound of black licorice wrapped in tissue and packaged in a shiny hinged box.

1) Because of the box, the kids treasure the gift and d-r-a-w out eating the messy little buggers.

2) Parents groan when they open it cause they KNOW their walls are gonna be a mess for weeks

3) You get to feign innocence in a blink-blinkety mischeivous way.

Happy New Year!

Barrie said...

Trish, I laughed out loud at this post! Happy New Year!

Paige Jennifer said...

Per my sister's suggestion, I bought her 4.5yo and 3yo matching xylophones. Great idea until they played them in unison. Ear bleeding fun. So much so I had to return them.

LEstes65 said...

Hey, I'm a mom and I don't know that I would have figured that one out in time, either. So go easy on yourself. Having kids makes me DUMBER - not smarter!!!

Happy new year. Can't wait to see you in about 2.5 weeks!!!!

PS - my word verification is wizzyx. I'm sure it means nothing. But I thought it was neat.

ramblin' girl said...

My sister-in-law tends to tell the gift-giver that her kids already have the toy, then insists the gift-giver takes back the toy... I should be more creative in the toys I give, ones they would never buy, due to coffee-maker with real water, or whatever other non-parent friendly item they may contain... heehee...

Happy New Year!

xxxx said...

HA! Love it.

Happy New Year :)

Allie said...

Your sister will forgive you. I have had to make heartfelt apologies to my siblings on a number of occasions - eg, the voice distorter I gave my nephew that sounded like a foghorn, or the treasure hunt that sent another nephew into a panic attack because he couldn't figure out the clue I'd given him, etc etc - and they still love me :)