Friday, January 02, 2009

2009 !

Happy New Year!

2009 is off to a fun start here in Ryan land. I'm fighting off a bit of a cold, but it's the good sort of cold, if you know what I mean: I feel just woozy enough to spend the day curled up on the couch with a blanket, but not so bad that I'm forced to down knock-me-out meds 24/7. The upshot of this is that I've already read two very cool books on spirituality and life that have broadened my little horizons, which is for me the happiest way possible to start a new year. (I know, the cover on the second book looks incredibly grim...trust me, no one was more surprised than me to find such great stuff inside. If you like your spirituality straight/no chaser, these books are filled with stuff to keep you thinking for months to come.)

I realized yesterday that New Year's Day might just be my favorite holiday. It's a day of both relaxation and possibility, where we actually have the time we always say we want, to sort out our lives and decide who and how we want to be in the days to come. As someone who loves to think about the future, this is my kind of day off! And I'll confess, I'm pretty excited about 2009, both because of some fun things I know about (the paperback of He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not comes out in April, and we're planning a move to a new house between now and then) and some stuff I'm hoping for, but not sure exactly how it will all play out.

A friend of mine defines happiness as "when life exceeds your expectations." That's the kind of year I'm praying for in 2009--for me and for you, my fine blog friends. Happy New Year :)

6 comments:

kim said...

Sounds great Trish! Glad to hear you are settling in with your favorite things. I know what you mean about New Year's Day being filled with relaxation and possibility. I think for the first time this year, I was acutely aware that this day feels different from the rest of year. Like reaping the lessons from the past year, rejoicing in what was, letting go, and then having this place-card holder for what is to come. And with God, desires seem even more possible. Happy resting, recovering and going deeper. And may 2009 bring your heart's desires and more. Thanks for all your sharing!

Stacy said...

Happy new year!

I actually kind of like the cover on the second book. It's very unexpected. Does that make me dark?

Hope you feel better.

larramiefg said...

That sounds wonderful, especially to me!

tootie said...

Happy 2009!

mslizalou said...

Happy 2009!

I love how your friend defines happiness. I want that kind of year for 2009 too.

Aimee said...

I am a little late to the party but this is a wonderful post! Thanks, Trish!