Friday, January 16, 2009

Tough Love on Memory Lane

Omigosh, I cannot wait to see the movie version of He's Just Not That Into You! I don't even know why--maybe I'm a glutton for punishment? It will probably be two hours of torture, a chance to relive all the times I refused to see that various hes just weren't that into me. You'd think, given my book and all, I'd have had enough of that by now. Apparently not.

I feel like this movie might mark some sort of turning point for women and dating and relationships. And let's be honest...we could use a turning point. I wonder, though: as much as the book launched a whole new vocabulary around male/female interactions, how often do we use the title phrase in the way it was intended?

Have you ever told a friend, "He's just not that into you?"
Has anyone ever said it to you?
How'd that go?

7 comments:

Sarakastic said...

I've thought about telling it to someone but it seemed like a good way to destroy friendships. Plus, it seemed hypocritical & harsh coming from my dating history. I think it's helpful when it comes from a source far far away from the person.

Holly Kennedy said...

I learned long ago to keep my mouth shut. Pouring a cup of tea and listening to a friend sob/whine/complain (with the odd supportive murmur thrown in) seems to work much better for me.

Myowne said...

Nobody said it but I am sure everybody thought it about my last one-sided relationship. And at the end of the matter, I had to admit it too. It sucked but I had to liberate myself from the fantasy world where he was everything I wanted and needed in a man. Though I am single now, it is far better to walk in truth that wallow in a lie.

jennifer said...

My friends and I tell eachother that all the time. More than half the time, it's the truth.

xxxx said...

I LOVE that phrase. It is the most liberating thing in the world when you think about it. A little hard to swallow, maybe, but SO liberating. (Although I am not always brave enough to say it to someone!) I am dying to see the movie.

Allie said...

Hey, what a great idea for a movie! Can't wait too.

My word verification is "boningo". :)

LEstes65 said...

I never said it back when I really needed to (in my 20s). I did tell quite a few girlfriends (and guyfriends, actually) that the person they were chasing was a total loser. Because if they really WERE a loser, there was no way I would let my friend hook up with them without a warning.

I wish someone had taken the risk to tell ME back in 1991.

I still warn my friends when I see red flags. I will never stand aside and let someone totally tank like that.

By the way...Steve? He's REALLY that into you!