Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Yodel-a-he-hoo

I am hip deep in mundane life activities today. (You know, the stuff I ignored last week when I was living in my pajamas typing frenetically.) This might be a tad depressing, but for my deep and abiding love of laundry. The ability to take piles of chaos and turn them, in just a little over an hour, into neat and ordered opportunities for fashion greatness (not to mention blog exaggeration) brings peace and joy to my cluttered soul.

As I sort, wash, dry, and fold, I'm giggling to myself about Gwen Stefani's new single. I'm not sure why, but sampling the yodeling goat song (lyrics inexplicably provided by the National Institute of Health/Department of Human Services) from "The Sound of Music" strikes me as one of the funniest things I've ever heard. When I saw the video - which looks so Madonna-esque that Gwen should fess up to a tribute even if she didn't have the Divine Diva in mind as she wielded her riding crop and donned her platinum wig - I thought, "Yay Gwen." Honestly, she's an impossible mix of creative and normal, always teetering right at the edge of embarrassing but never falling over. She inspires me, as I stand here folding laundry (in an outfit that teeters on the edge of embarrassing...) I think she's our generation's unheralded music genius. I hope she does a follow up single based on "Climb Every Mountain,"...it might enjoy some crossover success in self-help circles if Gwen plays her cards right :)

7 comments:

Jess Riley said...

I think Gwen's gorgeous. Haven't heard her new single yet, but I've heard lots about it.

Trish said...

Folding laundry is very therapeutic that way...I am always mulling over lives issues while sorting socks.

Swishy said...

Gwen told Entertainment Weekly that she's like a Trekkie for the Sound of Music ... totally obsessed. Funny, huh?

Anonymous said...

I'm still deciding if I like that song or not. It's strange, but I really like the yodeling part. It's the rest of the song...a bit too repetitive for my taste.

Anonymous said...

That sounds hilarious, but alas, I have not seen or heard it! And I agree, a remake of Climb Every Mountain would be priceless.

LEstes65 said...

We are a huge Gwen fan here. We had her 1st solo album on the other day and Cai & Liam were dancing with wild abandon. We programmed out the one song that features the sh** word very clearly. That's all I need the boys to start spouting around the 'hood, eh? But Liam's favorite bands include Gwen, No Doubt and Super Chick. He has good taste.

TTQ said...

I love Early Winter on the new Sweetest Escape albumn.